This week’s show has a British flavor with reigning World Champion, Zara Phillips, Rolex Grand Slam Challenger, Oliver Townend, British Eventing Chief Executive Mike Etherington-Smith plus Karen Dixon pays tribute to he multi-medal partner Get Smart. Listen in…
Eventing Radio Episode 68 – Show Notes and Links:
- Show Hosts: Chris Stafford & Lucinda Fredericks
- Guest: Karen Dixon
- Guest: Mike Etherington-Smith
- Guest: Zara Phillips
- Guest: Oliver Townend
- News: Chris Hunnable has taken over chairing British Eventing’s Sports Committee from Chief Executive, Mike Etherington-Smith. Chris ran the Towerlands Equestrian Centre and also a number of successful Horse Trials. He also served on the Sport Horse of Great Britain board for four years. The Sports Committee is responsible for Rules, Training, Performance, Safety and Fixtures. The move also allows Mike to concentrate on developing the Business Plan and direction of British Eventing as well as realigning the structures and operating procedures that were started in 2009.
- News: The intrepid British based New Zealander, Andrew Nicholson, won two of the three OI sections along with an Intermediate for a great start to his season. Stephen Way took the remaining OI on Secret Picnic.
- News: Oliver Townend & Piggy French dominated the big classes, with Oliver taking the AI and Intermediate, Piggy finishing 1st and 3rd in the OI and runner up in the AI.
- News: Dirk Grouwels, a 48 year-old Belgian rider, who was described as “an experienced amateur”, was killed in a rotational fall on the cross-country at the Zutendaal unaffiliated one-day event in Belgium on March 14th. According to Tony McPherson, the FEI Safety Officer for Belgium, Mr. Grouwels’ horse refused at a simple fence — the first part of a combination — the rider urged the horse on and it somersaulted over the fence. A doctor standing by the fence was at the scene immediately, but said Mr. Grouwels was killed instantly. Our sympathies go out to his family and friends.
- Please visit our sponsors as they make this show possible:
Download or Subscribe: